Monday, February 17, 2014

Personalize a Towel


I am super bad at choosing gifts for people, I over analyze and think way to hard on what to get them. I always think: Do they really need this? Would they even use or like this? Is this in my budget? Etc.etc. So, when it came to buying a gift for my nephew who was turning 1, I knew I had to get him something he would actually use and could be useful. I'm walking the isles of Target trying to find the PERFECT gift. I walked by the kids bathing toys and towels. That's when I saw the Batman towel and figured I could personalize it and it would make the gift of a towel that much better.

Here is my version of how I personalized the towel.

Materials Needed:

-Towel
-Fabric (I used less than 1/4 of a yard)
-Wonder under fusible interfacing ( I used less than 1/4 of a yard)
-Cloth
-Thread (color to coordinate with your fabric and towel)

Tools Needed:

-Scissors
-Iron
-Sewing machine


Step 1:

Getting your name in the font and size you would like it. I just drew mine out because I wanted to get the letters the right size to fit somewhat within the boxes of the Batman fabric.

Step 2:

Place your interfacing (with smooth side face down) on top of your print out of letters and trace. You should be writing (with a ball point pen) on the rough side of the interfacing to avoid backward letters. If using a dark fabric re-trace onto the paper side.

Step 3:

Now take your interfacing and place onto wrong side of fabric with rough side face down. (I cut each letter out roughly, didn't cut on the lines. I wanted to get a good placement on the fabric, to ensure that I was getting the most out of the graphics). But you can do it however you would like.
After you have your placement of your letters, you need to iron (5-8 seconds) the interfacing onto the fabric. Let it cool. Once it is cooled then cut out each of your letters. Place the cut out letters on your towel where you would like them (to see how it will look or workout).
Once you have your layout, peel off the interfacing from each letter and place back side down onto the towel.

Step 4:

Next, I took a dampened towel, placed over my interfaced letters and took my dry, heated iron (setting on wool) and ironed firmly over the dampened cloth for 10-15 seconds. I did all my letters, let them cool. If for some reason, some edges are not sealed, just go back with the damp towel and iron to press the edges down.


Step 5:

Here comes the real fun.....sewing the edges of the letters to make it's really secure. I used the zig zag pattern and sewed all around the edges.


Once all of the edges of the letters are sewn, cut any loose strings. Then, put in the wash before actually gifting, that way it is nice and clean!







No comments:

Post a Comment